Ever been on an epic RV adventure only to find that your mattress feels like a bed of rocks? Don’t worry, you’re not alone! Most factory RV mattresses lack the necessary comfort for a good night’s sleep. It’s time to put those restless nights behind you and upgrade to a mattress that’s as cozy as a bear hug.
In this insightful guide, we’ll introduce you to the best RV mattresses on the market, ensuring your future road trips come with sweet dreams.
Table of Contents
- The 5 Best Camper Mattresses
- RV Mattress Types
- RV Mattress Sizes
- RV Mattress Toppers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Note: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links. This doesn’t cost you any more than normal. Read our disclaimer for more info.
The 5 Best Camper Mattresses
There are tons of camper mattresses out there – but we wanted to make things easy for you!
These camper mattresses are, in our opinion, the best of the best! Let’s dive in.
Mattress Insider Custom RV Mattress
Mattress Insider is the best (and most trusted) RV mattress providers in the world
- They can make the perfect mattress to fit your needs
- Their offerings for RVs include Sedona Sleep 8(a budget option), Elation (best value), and luxury (premium, luxury RV mattress)
Serenia Sleep 8 RV Mattress
- The Serenia Sleep 8 RV mattress is one of the most requested camper mattresses out there
- These mattresses are made in the USA with sourced materials from both the US and Canada
- The Serenia Sleep is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it’s non-toxic
- It’s a great choice for those who want comfort but don’t want to break the bank
- Travel in Total Comfort: Enjoy the luxury of a memory foam mattress on the road with our exceptionally comfortable, medium firm Serenia Sleep RV mattress. These mattresses come in a box, making it easy to move into your RV, and can be easily lifted and placed on any RV bed frame. They are covered in a luxurious stretch-knit cover for a European-style finish. Available in standard sizes, as well as special sizes often found in RVs.
- Sleep Soundly with Supportive Memory Foam: This mattress has a supportive base foam layer, pressure point-relieving open cell memory foam, and a knit cover top layer for a comfortable sleep all night long. The all-foam core conforms to your body, promotes restful sleep, and cradles pressure points around your hips and shoulders for an even sleep surface.
‘Best Price’ RV Mattress
- Infused with Green Tea to help reduce stress and control odors
- It’s equipped with a pressure relief system to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep
- Certified with a 10-year warranty.
- Comfort Catered to You – Float on a cloud in amazing comfort with our memory foam mattress. Get the ultimate comfort and rest you need as the memory foam conforms to your body and relieves pressure points.
- Calming & Refreshing Green Tea – The memory foam layer is infused with green tea that is known to provide calming benefits. It also helps maintain odors to keep both you and your mattress refreshed every day.
- Layered in Harmony – The top memory foam layer works hand in hand with the support foam and high density foam layers to ensure well-balanced support for an amazing night’s sleep.
Dynasty Mattress Deluxe
- Most people compare these RV mattresses to Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattresses – at just a fraction of the cost.
- Comes with a 120-day trial as well as a 20-year warranty
- Has a removable four-way zipper cover, making it easy to clean
- ✅ COOLING MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS: Dynasty mattresses are constructed with a mix of high-density foam using cool dry gel technology so you can get a luxurious nights sleep. This comfy mattress is comprised of 4 expertly designed layers that provide the comfort you deserve.
- ✅ MEDIUM SOFT MATTRESS: Our CoolBreeze technology is designed to contour to the edges of the body for better comfort. Unlike most memory foam beds and toppers on the market, This medium soft model is excellent for back sleeping and side sleeping.
- ✅ MACHINE-WASHABLE COVER: Our luxurious mattress cover is machine washable, allowing for simple and fast care. An easy zipper makes removing the cover a breeze, and you can just toss the cover in with your regular laundry whenever it needs a refresh.
Zinus Deluxe Memory Foam Mattress
- Made from plant-based oil instead of petroleum
- This RV mattress is CertiPUR-US certified and free of most chemicals found in other mattresses
- Conforming memory foam comfort
- This is what I use for my bed!
- Set Up: Simply take your mattress out of the box and enjoy watching it decompress. Jumping, walking, and sleeping on your mattress can speed up the process.
RV Mattress Types
There are 6 different mattress types you can choose from, including:
- Memory Foam
- Innerspring (Coils)
Let’s take a quick look at each of these.
Foam is the cheapest and thinnest mattress type you can find. It’s usually not very comfortable and it’s what comes in most RVs when you first buy them.
Memory foam beds have a layer of soft memory foam and a sturdy foam base for support. These beds can cost anywhere between $300 to $800, however!
Gel mattresses are perfect if you plan on traveling in warm climates. They provide an overall cooler sleeping experience (and they’re one of my favorite mattresses)!
While innerspring mattresses are known to be high-quality mattresses, they aren’t exactly ideal for RVing. They’re much heavier and contain metal, which increases the risk of rust and condensation inside your mattress.
Natural latex mattresses are made from rubber trees and are known to be dust-mite resistant! These mattresses last a lot longer than synthetic mattresses, too.
Air mattresses range in price and it’s important you get one specifically designed for your RV. High-end air mattresses allow you to adjust the amount of air on either side of the mattress (if you’re someone who loves a firm mattress but you like it a bit softer, it’s an easy fix!).
RV Mattress Sizes
Camper mattresses come in as many shapes and sizes as the campers you put them in. You’ve got fifth-wheel trailers, motor homes including Class A, B and C, travel trailers, pop up campers, teardrop trailers… the list goes on.
There can’t be a one-size-fits-all mattress.
However, there are some common mattress sizes that tend to fit most campers. Here’s a chart showing all the common mattress sizes:
A standard twin bed is 38 x 75 inches, but because RV mattresses come in a variety of sizes, you’ll find custom twin beds ranging from 28 x 75 to 40 x 80 (which is the standard size for campers and pop-ups).
An RV wouldn’t be the same with bunk beds! Bunks are common in recreational vehicles designed for families. The standard length is 75 inches, but the width can be 28 or 35 inches. There are some unconventional sizes that you’ll find every now and again. When that happens, we recommend looking for a truck bed. They tend to be just a tad bit longer and wider.
Full (or double) mattresses are usually found in RV fold-out sofas. RV full beds tend to be one inch wider than your average full bed.
These beds are pretty self-explanatory. They’re 75% the width of a standard queen size bed. Instead of the traditional 60-inch width, a three quarter is 48 inches. You’ll find these RV beds in oddly shaped RVs.
RVs tend to have a pretty bad rep when it comes to size. However, many RVs and pop-ups feature queen-sized mattresses, which are 60 x 80 inches! If the RV has multiple sleeping areas, you’ll usually find a queen in the main one.
Unlike the “average” queen bed, short queen RV mattresses are five inches shorter (so they’re 75 inches long instead of 80 inches).
Olympic Queens are wider than your standard queen bed. Instead of 60 inches across, the Olympic version is 66 inches.
King-size beds are surprisingly common in RVs and campers! The standard size is 76 x 80 inches in homes but tend to be slimmed down for mobility. You’ll usually find RV sizes are 72 x 75 inches or 72 x 80 inches – perfect for those who need a bit more room to sprawl out after a long day of traveling.
Eastern King beds are a little wider than a regular King, measuring 76 inches across instead of 72 – perfect for those with fur babies who take up a lot of room (we have one of those – you’d be surprised at how much room a cat can take up!).
Honestly, you’ll find this mattress more frequently in homes than in an RV. It’s a longer mattress than a standard king, but slightly narrower. Instead of 76 x 80 inches, it’s 72 x 80 inches. If you can make it work though – go for it!
Trailer (or truck) beds come in two sizes – either 35 x 79 or 42 x 80 inches. Not super ideal for two people though!
RV Mattress Toppers
Mattress toppers can be a life-saver to make a firm bed softer. However, they can’t make a sagging, non-supportive bed supportive again.
If your mattress is simply too firm, consider the following topper options:
Cooling Bamboo Mattress Pad
- Each mattress topper is made from natural bamboo fabric. Bamboo is hypoallergenic and gentle on sensitive skin.
- This mattress topper is equipped with a soft, cushiony pillow-top texture
- Comfortable, soft, breathable, and high-quality mattress pad.
Lucid Gel Memory Foam Topper
- This mattress topper is infused with a plush gel material that captures heat to control the temperature
- This product features a 3-year warranty
- With this pressure-relieving comfort, you’ll receive a good night of sleep every night
- While it doesn’t feature a short queen size, it’s easy to cut these to size
- PLUSH FEEL – Our memory foam mattress toppers are designed to enhance a mattress, making your sleep experience more soft. Enjoy three inches of plush memory foam that is light, airy, and responsive.
- GEL INFUSION – This Lucid memory foam mattress topper is infused with gel to help dissipate heat and regulate body temperature for a more comfortable sleep environment.
- VENTILATED DESIGN – Our gel mattress toppers are designed with ventilation to help dissolve heat with constant airflow, perfect for those who sleep hot.
Zinus 4 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Comes in different thicknesses to fit your comfort needs
- CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- Also has options for pillow top and swirl tec cooling gel
- REFRESHING SLEEP, BUILT RIGHT IN – If good sleep is your cup of tea, then you’ll love our recipe for rejuvenating rest; green tea and moisture-absorbing charcoal are infused into memory foam that cradles you so you awake restored and refreshed
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS – This 4 inch layer features 1.5 inches of memory foam with natural additives like green tea, charcoal and plant oil and 2.5 inches of durable high density base foam; fits under any standard or deep pocket fitted sheet
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED – Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED – Our technology allows this topper to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped to your door; simply unbox, unroll and this topper does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve read this far, you may have some questions! That’s OK, we’ve got answers. Here are some frequently asked questions among RVers:
Can I replace my RV mattress?
Short and simple answer? Yes, you can. However, you’ll need to make sure you purchase a mattress with the exact dimensions your current RV mattress has.
You may have a custom size frame, though. In this case, you’ll need to get a custom mattress made for you.
Where can I buy these beds?
The top three places we’d suggest when buying a new RV mattress is:
- Amazon: You can find almost anything on Amazon, including mattresses. Just make sure you read the reviews before purchasing.
- Camping World: The go-to site for RV living and camping adventures.
- Mattress Insider: If your set up requires a unique or custom size mattress, this site is the best place to go.
Can a mattress be delivered to me?
Sites like Mattress Insider will ship mattresses to you – sometimes on the same day! Not to mention, they have free shipping.
Can you put a regular mattress in an RV?
It depends on your RV. Many bigger RVs, such as fifth wheels and class As, can fit a regular queen mattress (60×80 inches) or king mattress (72×80 inches).
However, a lot of RVs can only fit a short queen (60×74) or a short king (72×75). Some RV mattresses also have custom cuts, such as radius corners, which regular mattresses won’t fit.
Ask your RV dealer or check your RVs handbook for more information. If you need help ordering a custom-sized camper mattress, give Mattress Insider a call!
So there you have it, folks! No more restless nights tossing and turning on a lackluster RV mattress. We’ve served up the best options available, so you can make an informed choice and finally sleep like a log. Say goodbye to the days of waking up feeling like a pretzel – it’s time to invest in an RV mattress that cradles you in comfort while you explore the great outdoors.
Other RV Buying Guides:
- Must-Have RV Accessories, Supplies & Parts
- RV Refrigerators
- RV Air Conditioners
- RV Water Pumps
- RV Antennas
- RV Recliners
- RV Roof Coating & Sealants
- RV Leveling Blocks
- RV Batteries
- Best Portable Grills
- RV Water Filters
- RV Surge Protectors
- RV Generators
- RV Mattresses
- RV Backup Cameras
- Portable Toilets
- Portable Camp Sinks
- Camp Chairs with Canopy
- RV Covers
- RV WiFi Boosters
- RV Outdoor Rugs