With an astonishing $15 trillion in spending power and an expected $125 billion spent in 2021, female travelers make up a massive portion of the world’s travel spending. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
With travel becoming safer and easier than ever, more and more women are option to travel, both alone and with friends.
Women are also more likely to spend money on things they truly want to do, rather than trying to please others.
In today’s report, we share the most impactful female travel statistics and trends of 2022 (so far).
Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
- Essential Female Travel Statistics
- What is the Age and Average Income of Female Travelers?
- Why are So Many Women Traveling Solo?
- How Many Women Travel with Friends?
- How Much do Women Spend on Travel?
- What are the Top Female-Friendly Travel Destinations?
- What Inspires Women to Travel?
- How Do Women Use Social Media When Traveling?
Essential Female Travel Statistics
- Internet searches for “female solo travel” have increased by 62% between 2016 – 2019.
- Women make 80% of travel decisions when they are with their partners or family members.
- 75% of trips that women took in 2019 were for cultural, natural sightseeing, or adventure purposes.
- 86% of women would still travel alone, despite turbulent global events.
- Among US women in relationships, 65% vacationed without their partners.
- In 2019 alone, 32 million single women in the United States traveled at least once.
- One in three single American women traveled over five times in 2019.
- Among women who traveled in 2019, 59% of them plan on doing so again in 2020.
- Travel agencies that solely cater to female travelers have increased by 250%.
- According to 27% of travel agents, the most popular reasons for women traveling alone are shopping and sightseeing.
Most women like to travel, and they have been doing so for decades. However, since the travel landscape is changing, female travel statistics indicate an increased number of women are becoming frequent travelers. Some go with friends, while others prefer to travel by themselves. Since 2015, a new phenomenon has emerged where women are making it a priority to not only travel but to do it in a way that fulfills them. The surge of travel booking by women has led to an increase in the number of businesses that cater exclusively to them. Women are becoming more financially stable and independent, while travel has become more specialized and convenient. These two factors encourage more travel, and even women in relationships are taking solo vacations more frequently. Contrary to popular belief, women are not afraid to travel by themselves regardless of the tumultuous events happening around the world. As an example, although 2019 was fraught with political tension, millions of women traveled, and more than half of them plan on doing so again this year. The commitment of tourist destinations around the world to ensuring the safety of female travelers has also helped increase the number of solo women travelers. Women spread the word about pleasant experiences, which leads to greater accountability, better safety measures, and repeat visits to safe destinations.
Quick Links: Navigate Our Statistics
What is the Age and Average Income of Female Travelers?
- In 2019, women between the ages of 25 and 39 made up 46% of female travelers.
- Among women who traveled for work-related purposes, 11.2% owned their own business.
- The average age of a female traveler in the United Kingdom is 57.
- Among travelers who earned $250,000 or more annually, 54% were women.
According to statistical data, women above the age of 40 travel the most, due to their employment status, their purchasing power, and their reduced familial responsibilities. Their financial stability allows them to spend more time and money on travel compared to younger women.Women are more likely to be part of the affluent traveler segment, who make more than a quarter of a million dollars annually. Mature women who have advanced in their careers have more leisure time, and they opt to use it for travel experiences that cater to them.
Why are So Many Women Traveling Solo?
As more countries and agencies accommodate the needs of women, the number of women opting to travel alone increases exponentially every year. A Google search for terms related to solo female travel generates millions of results, all geared towards the growing demand for women-only trips and vacations.
- Markets that cater to female travelers have increased by 88% in 2020.
- Googling “solo female travel” yields as much as 45 million results.
- Women are more likely to travel solo than men, according to 73% of travel agents.
- Female solo travel, in general, has increased by 45% compared to a few years ago.
- 72% of American women indicated that they liked traveling by themselves.
- In the UK, women in London aged 25 to 34 performed 55% of searches related to solo travel.
- 27% of women have considered taking a solo vacation in 2019.
- Among those who travel for business, 1% are female.
- Compared to only five years ago, the rate of British females flying alone has increased by 54%.
- The majority of solo female travelers are 45 years old or above, at 81%.
- Women between the ages of 35 and 44 make up 13% of travelers.
- Women who are between the ages of 25 and 34 make up 6% of female travelers.
- Only 1% of female travelers are between 18 and 24 years old.
- 59% of women who traveled alone last year would do it again in 2020.
Women choose to travel alone because the needs of others don’t restrict them, and they can do the activities that they want. Furthermore, with the advent of technology, travel has become much safer with women able to access the internet, police stations, and even drivers with the touch of a button.Destinations with a high number of female tourists understand their specific needs, enabling them to tailor their services to include activities that appeal to women. When these activities and destinations become widely available and cost-effective, more women find themselves able to afford even a short vacation and will take the opportunity.
How Many Women Travel with Friends?
- From 2016-2019, 24% of American women traveled for a “girlfriend getaway” trip.
- Over the next three years, 39% of American women will take a trip with their female friends.
- 91% of women who travel together are friends.
- Women who travel with relatives account for 8% of the total number of female travelers .
Girlfriend getaways with friends make popular travel activities when women don’t travel solo. These getaways are a growing trend, with numbers indicating that up to a quarter of American women in the past three years have taken some kind of “girlfriend getaway” trip. Many American women plan to take a girlfriend getaway in the next three years and their preferred destinations frequently offer group travel packages and deals.Some activities that appeal to female friend groups include wine-tastings, guided tours, pampering spa packages, accommodations, and safe transport. If women are looking for friends to travel with, there are a wealth of websites that have women-only travel groups that visit new places each couple of months.
How Much do Women Spend on Travel?
- Women have $15 trillion in spending power.
- Female travelers are expected to spend up to $125billion in 2020.
- This year, 67 million women will make a decision that relates to travel.
The tourism industry is well aware of women’s substantial purchasing power. Women are more likely to pay for vacations that appeal to them as opposed to standardized, one-size-fits-all options that don’t account for their needs. Since businesses expect women to pump $125 billion into the international travel market in 2020, they will focus on appealing to women. That means customizing their experience and making it memorable and enjoyable so they will return or refer others.
What are the Top Female-Friendly Travel Destinations?
Here are the safest and most-popular female travel destinations in the world:
- The top 10 safest destinations for women in 2019 were New Zealand, Uruguay, Canada, Finland, Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland, Japan, Chile, and Austria.
- The top 10 countries for female solo travelers in the US were Cuba, Macedonia, UAE, Nepal, Egypt, Albania, Finland, Mexico, Guatemala, and Luxembourg.
- Japan is a highly favored destination due to its natural and cultural elements, followed by France, Spain, and the United States.
- Europe is the most popular destination for female travelers according to 45% of agents.
The top concerns reported by women when they travel relate to their safety. Women are not afraid to travel alone, but there are some places where they are discouraged from visiting alone due to safety concerns. However, this only comprises a small minority of destinations.In general, places where women want to visit frequently also have the best reputation when it comes to solo female travel. Women do their research before they travel and are often well aware of what to expect when it comes to visiting a new destination. With their feedback, women not only recommend places to one another but also warn each other if their safety is at risk.One country that has consistently met safety standards and maintains an excellent reputation for female-friendly travel is Japan. Japan is also a popular destination due to its wealth of cultural and natural sightseeing opportunities. The most frequented destination for women in general, however, is Europe.Some countries that women visit may not be considered exceptionally safe for women. Still, they go anyway for the rich cultural experiences that they can’t find anywhere else in the world. As time progresses, there is sure to be an uptick in the number of organizations dedicated to attracting female visitors. This increase in female-friendly environments will take into account women’s concerns and address them in a hassle-free manner when needed.
What Inspires Women to Travel?
- 17% of female travelers seek educational, cultural or historical experiences.
- 16% traveled to a beach destination.
- 15% traveled to adventurous destinations.
- 13% of trips involved cruises.
- The majority of women seek trips that promise an experience.
- Travel was a source of inspiration according to 69% of women.
- 87% of women preferred aesthetically pleasing destinations (compared to 72% of men).
- The first trend of women quitting their jobs to embark on a worldwide journey started in 2015.
Nowadays, women desire to havegenuine and authentic experiences while they are traveling. No longer satisfied with cookie-cutter options, they seek to be inspired and to enjoy themselves as much as possible. Beautiful destinations with aesthetically appealing characteristics are important to women, but so is what they will be doing there.Women’s travel destinations are categorized in the travel industry based on the activity that they would like to do. While some women preferred the traditional cruise options and beach getaways, others chose educational trips that focused on culture and learning. More than ever, women are seeking adventure travel destinations and activities to do while abroad, as opposed to staying in one resort with limited activities.
How Do Women Use Social Media When Traveling?
- 75% of women use social media to find food and activity recommendations while traveling.
- One social media group on Facebook called “Solo Female Travelers” has over 27,000 members.
- 58% of solo female travelers feel safer when they use social media while traveling.
- Pinterest has seen a whopping 600% increase in searches for “solo travel” in 2018.
- To communicate with friends and family members, 62% of female travelers rely on social media.
- Among UK women who traveled, 3% frequently posted about their trip on social media.
Social media is slowly but surely becoming a necessity in today’s world, and it plays a significant role in women’s travel plans. Due to the information they can readily find on social media channels about places to visit, female travelers use social media for recommendations and ideas. Those ideas can be anything from where to eat to hotel accommodations to spontaneous activities to fill any spare time.Since international phone calls are expensive in many destinations, social media provides a free, instant way to connect with friends and family. Most women who used social media while traveling reported feeling safer while abroad.Based on these statistics, it is evident that female travel trends will become more specialized as time progresses. With a wealth of options to choose from and companies that provide meaningful experiences, women will continue to contribute to the growth of economies through their travel activities. By understanding their habits and characteristics, travel agencies and travel markets are better equipped to satisfy demand with safe, high-quality, and memorable experiences.
Other statistic pages: